JAPAN: Partytime for wine producers in Japan
Custom-designed wine bottles are developing a strong presence in the Japanese market because of the country's tradition of giving presents.Bottles celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, meetings, company foundings and partings have all sprung up in the last year and bottlers say the demand is growing.Glass makers say that while custom-designed bottles are not popular in Europe they are becoming a lucrative fad in Japan.Internet-based sales are also gaining pace with bottles being designed for individual clients while shops selling alcohol are stocking special occasion bottles in the same way that greetings cards are sold.In Japanese these products are called "wine in etched glass bottles" although the designs are, in reality, sandblasted onto the glass.Particular favourites include decorated bottles of red wine for a 60th birthday, or kanreki, replacing the traditional red, sleeveless coat and weddings with the name of the bride and groom etched onto the glass.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends