JAPAN: Partytime for wine producers in Japan
Custom-designed wine bottles are developing a strong presence in the Japanese market because of the country's tradition of giving presents.Bottles celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, meetings, company foundings and partings have all sprung up in the last year and bottlers say the demand is growing.Glass makers say that while custom-designed bottles are not popular in Europe they are becoming a lucrative fad in Japan.Internet-based sales are also gaining pace with bottles being designed for individual clients while shops selling alcohol are stocking special occasion bottles in the same way that greetings cards are sold.In Japanese these products are called "wine in etched glass bottles" although the designs are, in reality, sandblasted onto the glass.Particular favourites include decorated bottles of red wine for a 60th birthday, or kanreki, replacing the traditional red, sleeveless coat and weddings with the name of the bride and groom etched onto the glass.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts