JAPAN: Partytime for wine producers in Japan
Custom-designed wine bottles are developing a strong presence in the Japanese market because of the country's tradition of giving presents.Bottles celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, meetings, company foundings and partings have all sprung up in the last year and bottlers say the demand is growing.Glass makers say that while custom-designed bottles are not popular in Europe they are becoming a lucrative fad in Japan.Internet-based sales are also gaining pace with bottles being designed for individual clients while shops selling alcohol are stocking special occasion bottles in the same way that greetings cards are sold.In Japanese these products are called "wine in etched glass bottles" although the designs are, in reality, sandblasted onto the glass.Particular favourites include decorated bottles of red wine for a 60th birthday, or kanreki, replacing the traditional red, sleeveless coat and weddings with the name of the bride and groom etched onto the glass.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits