UK/SCOTLAND: Parliament committee expected to back minimum alcohol price
A cross-party committee in Scotland's Parliament is set to throw its weight behind plans for a minimum price on alcoholic drinks in the country.
The Scottish Parliament's Health & Sport Committee is this week expected to report its findings on the Alcohol (minimum pricing) Bill put forward by the ruling Scottish National Party (SNP), a person familiar with the matter told just-drinks today (6 March). Drinks industry officials anticipate that the nine-member Committee will broadly back plans for a floor price on drinks.
Despite strong opposition from significant swathes of the drinks sector, the SNP is expected to push minimum pricing through Parliament later this year, after gaining a majority of the seats in 2011. As a minority administration prior to this, it failed to gain enough cross-party support for the measure.
Its fresh attempt to introduce minimum pricing comes as the policy is being taken more seriously by the UK Government in London. From a separate source, just-drinks understands that this emanates from concern that a move to ban sales of drinks 'below cost' is not tough enough.
The SNP has yet to publish the fine details of its proposal for Scotland, such as a specific price per unit. The policy would almost certainly face a legal challenge at some stage, possibly from within the drinks industry.
The drinks industry maintains that minimum pricing would be illegal under European Union law and will hit a majority moderate drinkers for the sake of targeting a minority of harmful drinkers.
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research