FRANCE: Parliament approves wine, spirits tax rise
France's parliament has finalised a new wine and spirits tax that will add around EUR0.7 to a bottle of wine and increase spirits prices by 23%.
The move, approved by MPs this month, will take effect from 1 January.
Members of the industry described the new tax as "catastrophic", particularly because it will increase in line with inflation.
Celine Clerc, of CANOC, the confederation for AOC wine producers, told just-drinks: "This year it is a question of EUR0.7, but if inflation continues as it is, in 10 years time it will be a 15% increase. And it comes from a president who promised to lower taxes on wine."
Clerc said the move would reduce France's competitiveness against other European wine countries.
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
French wine body the Conseil des Vins de Saint-Emilion (CVSE) is lobbying the Ministry of Agriculture to appeal to France's Council of State over a recent court decision confirming the scrapping of th...
The Conseil Interprofessionnel des Vins de Provence (CIVP) has increased funding to promote rosé wines abroad in 2009....
Trade body the Union des Côtes de Bordeaux (UCB) has created a Côtes de Bordeaux appellation, describing the move as a "revolution in the organisation of Bordeaux appellations."...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research