UK: Packaging overhaul for Kumala
Kumala, the UK's top-selling South African wine brand, is to go through a packaging overhaul to give the brand a more premium look.
Western Wines, the brand's owner and UK import arm of Vincor International, has based the redesign on Kumala's packaging in the US, where the brand was launched last year.
The new look includes a two-part label and gives more prominence to Kumala's gecko icon. The packaging also includes a branded capsule and more informative back label, while the black and gold logo is to be used across the Kumala range, which costs between GBP4.99-19.99 (US$8.71-34.90) a bottle.
Kumala brand manager Fiona Riches told just-drinks today (16 March) that the revamp would help the brand compete against its main New World rivals, including Jacob's Creek, Lindemans and Blossom Hill.
"Consumers viewed the packaging as much more premium and they said it jumped off the shelf. They also felt they could take Kumala along to a dinner party, which is the whole idea with wine labelling, consumers feeling as though they can take it anywhere."
Kumala accounts for 28% of branded sales in the South African wine category and is the fourth best-selling wine in the UK off-trade, according to figures from AC Nielsen.
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Seven French wine co-operatives have joined forces to create a brand to compete with its New World rivals....
US wine and spirits distributor New World Brands has appointed David Rudden as CEO....
One of the leading administrators in the French wine industry has said the industry is finally embracing the "revolutionary" reform needed to cope with declining sales, overproduction and intense comp...
Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has had its rating upgraded....
Vincor International has posted its financial results for the quarter and year to 31 March....
New World Brands, Inc said yesterday that, through its wholly owned subsidiary International Importers, Inc, it has acquired a 50% ownership interest in the US rights to the Australian wine brand Wall...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report