UK: Outlook set fair for Nichols, but H1 profits hammered by Pakistan legal loss
- Half-year net profits total GBP1.6m (US$2.7m) as US$13.8m fine takes toll
- Stripping out fine, net profits in six months to end of June rise by 13.2% to GBP7.8m
- Sales in H1 increase by 2.7% to GBP56.6m
- Operating profits jump by 12.1% to GBP9.9m
Nichols released its half-year interim statement earlier today
Nichols has reported a healthy set of numbers for the first half of 2014, but its bottom line has taken a pummeling from a legal ruling in Pakistan.
While sales and operating profits in the six months to the end of June fared well, net profits in the period totalled GBP1.6m (US$2.7m) compared to GBP6.9m in the corresponding period in the year prior.
Earlier this month, Nichols was hit with a fine of PKR1.4m (US$13.8m) after the Pakistani High Court found in favour of Gul Bottlers, which had claimed loss of profits from a production and distribution deal in 2011. Prior to the ruling, the company had been braced for a possible fine of around $3.4m.
In the UK, sales in the half-year increased by 8%, with sales of the CSD portfolio rising by 11%. Still sales in the country were up by 3% for Nichols. Outside of the UK, the company saw sales fall by 12%, although this was blamed on "a shift in timing of shipments of Vimto concentrate to the Middle East".
Nichols said: "We expect international sales in the second half of 2014 to show improved performance in comparison to both the period and the second half of 2013."
The company concluded that its full-year performance will come in "in line with current expectations".
To read the company's interim statement, click here.
Cocktail mixers and syrups firm Funkin is now part of the AG Barr portfolio after the closure of a multi-million deal last month. Here, Funkin CEO Andrew King explains how he can help Barr grow its on...
Canadean's "Nichols plc : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compan...
This month, Richard Corbett looks at the Middle East, a region that offers a wealth of opportunities to the soft drinks and bottled water category....
Carbonated Soft Drinks in United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). Th...
Pernod Ricard has opened a "brand home" in New York for its Absolut Elyx vodka that doubles as its US head's private residence....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review