CANADA: Outlook bright for Canada's soft drink industry
Canada has seen its soft drinks industry grow over 175% in the last 25 years and today total annual sales exceed 3.5 billion litres, which is equivalent to more than six canned soft drinks a week per capita, according to a recent report.Changes to consumption patterns, as Canadians spend more time on other activities, have been attributed to the changes. The Canadian Soft Drinks Association (CSDA) believes these have led to an increase in prepared and packaged meals and drinks. Industry leaders are predicting a healthy growth of 3.5% for this year.As the scarred Canadian economy came out of a major recession in the early 1990's, so did the soft drinks industry. The recession may have left its mark but according to the CSDA figures, volumes of soft drinks sold in Canada have still grown over 37% since 1989 and the growth rate has generally outpaced the rate of population growth.The beverage business is a $7 billion industry in Canada and with continuing signs of a stable and growing Canadian economy, the outlook for the Canadian soft drinks industry for the millennium looks bright.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends