JAPAN: Otsuka Beverage Co recalls bottled water
Millions of bottles of Crystal Geyser mineral water have been recalled in Japan by Otsuka Beverage Co.
Batches of the water, which is produced in the US, are being recalled following consumer complaints of a "strange odour", Otsuka said on Monday (17 November).
It gave no figures for the recall, but local reports have suggested 8m bottles were being pulled.
The move comes two weeks after Kirin Holdings said it was recalling half a million bottles of Volvic water in Japan, also due to a problem with odour.
Otsuka advised consumers not to drink affected Crystal Geyser products, all packaged in 500ml bottles, but said that the odour was not considered a risk to health.
The firm also advised consumers to store the drink away from direct sunlight and in a cool place. It added that a company investigation has suggested that the odour problem could be a storage issue, related to high summer temperatures in the warehouse.
Kirin Holdings has wasted no time in implementing its new strategy to expand across Asia Pacific and reduce reliance on domestic beer sales....
Kirin Holdings has reported net losses of JPY6bn for the first quarter of 2009, but the group maintained its full-year guidance after rises in sales and operating profits....
Japanese brewer Kirin Holdings has said it hopes to complete a buyout of all outstanding shares in Lion Nathan by October this year....
Australian brewer Lion Nathan has said that it expects to become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Japan's Kirin Holdings within the next week....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Kirin Holdings has acquired a 19% stake in Philippines-based San Miguel Brewery for PHP26.2bn, the Japanese brewer has said....
Japanese brewer Kirin Holdings has agreed to buy up the remaining shares in Australia's Lion Nathan for A$3.3bn....
Lion Nathan, the Australian brewer and subsidiary of Kirin Holdings, has raised its full-year profits guidance after reporting an increase in sales and profits in its fiscal first-half....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits