SOUTH KOREA: Oriental takes low road in beer battle
South Korea's second largest brewer Oriental Brewery Co. has launched a lower-alcohol beer in an attempt to increase its market share in the lucrative Korean beer market.
According to local reports, Oriental's new product will hit the shelves at 4.2% abv, well below the alcohol level of 4.5% that is the norm for beer in the country.
Currently, Oriental Brewery Co has 40% of the market, while its big competitor Hite has the remaining 60%, and Oriental sees its new product as offering an unusual point of difference. But the country's market leader seems unlikely to follow the lower-alcohol route.
"Lowering the [alcohol] level is meaningless," said an official at Hite. "We do not plan to develop a new product with a low alcohol content."
Sectors: Beer & cider
The biennial IFE trade show in London has over the years been the initial launch pad for many successful brands and heralded numerous mainstream trends in the soft drinks sector. Annette Farr visited ...
Economic growth and rising personal incomes in the Asia Pacific region may make it an exciting growth area for international brands but the potential for international spirits varies considerably from...
UK regional brewer Greene King has launched what it claims to be the first bottled English speciality beer....
Finnish state-owned beverage alcohol group Altia Corporation today (21 March) confirmed that it is eyeing the Nordic operations of Absolut vodka owner V&S Group....
UK Chancellor Gordon Brown has introduced index-linked increases to duty on beer, cider and wine in his latest Budget today (21 March). The Chancellor said that the duty on beer, cider and wine would ...
Spain's per-capita wine consumption fell by almost 7% last year, hurt by a steep drop in on-trade sales, just-drinks learnt today (16 March). In all, Spaniards drank 24.9 litres of wine in 2006, down ...
The global brand director for J&B hopes the upcoming GBP10m (US$19.2m) push behind the Scotch whisky brand will help it achieve the global "credibility" it has in Spain, its largest market....
V&S has failed in its last legal attempt to overturn a decision from Swedish alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget to de-list wines handled by the company....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research