PHILIPPINES: One-off gains drive half-year profits at San Miguel Corporation
San Miguel Corporation has posted a lift in group sales and operating profits for the first half of this year, driven by a healthy performance from its spirits division.
The Philippines-based food and drink giant said yesterday (1 September) that operating profit for the six months to the end of June came in 6% up on the corresponding period a year earlier, totally PHP8.7bn (US$177.6m).
Net sales for the group came in 7% up year-on-year at PHP84.9bn, as the majority of San Miguel's businesses "showed sustained revenue growth despite a general slowdown in the economy", the company said.
San Miguel's spirits arm, Ginebra San Miguel , posted volume growth of 15%, while operating profits leapt to PHP617m from PHP426m last year.
Domestic beer sales at San Miguel Brewery inched up by 4% in the half-year, while operating profits increased by 6% as a result of "focused efforts to contain costs", the company said.
While consolidated net profits soared to PHP55.6bn for the half-year, compared to PHP19.7bn a year ago, the group noted that, excluding one-off items, recurring net profits came in 3% down at PHP5.3bn. In February, San Miguel sold a 43% stake in San Miguel Brewery to Kirin Holdings for around PHP59bn.
The group credited both these events with contributing to one-off gains in the half-year.
Kirin Holdings has blamed unfavourable currency rates and a weakened Japanese economy for a fall in sales and profits in 2009....
Japanese drinks group Kirin Holdings has appointed a new president and CEO as it looks to push on with plans to drive earnings, despite a breakdown in merger talks with Suntory....
Kirin Holdings and Suntory have moved closer to securing a deal to merge after solving a dispute over ownership of the new business, according to a report....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends