SPAIN: On-trade slowdown hits wine consumption
Spain's per-capita wine consumption fell by almost 7% last year, hurt by a steep drop in on-trade sales, just-drinks learnt today (16 March).
Spaniards drank 8.3% less wine in the restaurant, café and hotel channel while retail sales fell 0.8%, according top wine federation Federacion Espanola del Vino (FEV). In all, Spaniards drank 24.9 litres of wine in 2006, down 6.9% on 2005.
Cava and fermented-wine sales rose 1.1% in the supermarket channel but fell 1.2% in the restaurant circuit.
FEV chief executive Rafael Del Rey said the drop in restaurant sales stemmed from rising wine prices, new anti-smoking laws - which are said to repress alcohol drinking - and tougher drunk-driving legislation.
However, Del Rey said the industry and the Spanish government are working to tackle the problem. Under the so-called plan de choque, the industry will work to promote wine with Spanish consumers and teach restaurant staff more efficient selling techniques.
"We hope sales will rise substantially this year," Del Rey said.
Last month, alcohol producers in Spain received a boost when the country's government postponed plans to restrict alcohol advertising.
Spain shelved a law that was looking to curb advertising of beverage alcohol to help fight under-age drinking in the country. The Spanish government had put the plans on hold after failing to reach a compromise with wine industry officials.
The Indian spirits sector has undoubted growth potential, on the back of a growing economy, an expanding middle class and rising disposable income but international companies face many obstacles as th...
Systembolaget has posted a lift in sales for the first eight months of this year....
The chairman of The Drinkaware Trust in the UK has resigned....
Alcohol suppliers in Australia are circumventing government regulations on appealing to younger drinkers, a recent study has concluded....
Two New York alcohol distributors have joined forces....
The European Parliament has backed away from recommending the introduction of a harmonised health warning on alcohol packaging throughout the EU even though its own health committee had urged such a s...
Systembolaget is looking to sell the properties which house its retail outlets in Sweden....
The Scottish government has unveiled plans to restrict retailers in the country in how they can merchandise alcohol in their stores....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research