US: On-trade drinking led by occasion - research
US drinks consumers are more than twice as likely to order beer or mixed drinks than wine when drinking away from home, according to a recent survey in the country.
The survey, announced by consultancy firm Technomic yesterday (24 October), examined dining and drinking-out occasions across the US and noted that consumer intake leant more towards spirits, beer and mixed drinks than wine, depending on the occasion.
The findings highlighted that 48% of consumers opted for spirits and mixed drinks and 46% chose beer, but only 18% plumped for wine. Relative shares add up to more than 100% due to people consuming more than one type of alcohol, said Technomic.
Results changed dramatically when drinking was based on occasion, with wine consumption rising to 37% for business meals or special events such as a romantic meals, the consultancy said.
The research, which also examined results based on venues and consumer demographics, found that the largest share of all on-trade consumption was made up of informal family meals, making up a quarter of all adult beverage occasions.
Technomic added: "This finding is particularly interesting for casual dining operators, many of which have struggled to build alcohol sales and have concentrated instead on facilitating their off-premise business through take-out sales."
The head of India's UB Group has warned that the ongoing struggle against higher taxes on imported spirits into the country cannot be resolved through the World Trade Organisation....
The European Union has made a plea to the alcoholic drinks industry to stop targeting young people and minors in marketing campaigns....
Alcohol vaporisers have been banned across the state of Kentucky in the US....
This year's World Whiskies Conference concludes today (15 April) with a look at a wide scope of issues concerning the industry, including innovation, legal definitions and future growth possibilities....
Consolidation has grown among US beer distributors due to rising costs, the need for well-balanced portfolios and broader reach, according to an industry report....
Systembolaget has posted a slight lift in sales for the year so far, despite a slow start....
San Miguel has launched a non-alcoholic cocktail in Thailand in an effort to boost sales of its non-alcoholic drinks in the country....
Pernod Ricard has lined up a responsible drinking campaign in the UK....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research