UK: On-trade beer sales still the majority - figures
More beer is still sold in the UK's pubs than shops, figures show
UK beer sales in the on-trade still marginally outweigh off-trade sales, but supermarkets and shops dominate in all other categories, latest figures reveal.
Pubs, bars and restaurants accounted for 52% of beer sales by volume in 2011, compared to 53% the previous year, the British Beer & Pub Association reported in its Statistical Handbook 2012.
Ten years ago 68% of beer sales were through the UK on-trade.
For wine last year, off-trade sales dominated, with 81% of volumes sold through shops. Spirits sales showed a similar picture, with 79% of sales in the off-trade.
In the cider category, the split was 62%/38% in favour of the off-trade. For FABs (flavoured alcohol beverages), it was more even, with 56% of sales through shops.
The figures also revealed that UK alcohol consumption per capita fell again last year, from 8.4 to 8.3 litres per head. Consumption is now 12% lower than in 2004, the BBPA said.
Meanwhile, the numbers of young people (11-15 year olds) drinking alcohol has fallen by 29 per cent since 2008, the figures show.
The BBPA took the opportunity to launch a fresh attack on the UK government's duty rates. It highlighted that UK beer tax is nine times higher than in France, and 13 times more than Germany.
"With almost 1 million jobs depending on the beer and pub sector, action is needed to bring the tax on beer more into line with neighbouring states," said BBPA chief executive Brigid Simmonds.
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets