UK: On-trade beer sales still the majority - figures
More beer is still sold in the UK's pubs than shops, figures show
UK beer sales in the on-trade still marginally outweigh off-trade sales, but supermarkets and shops dominate in all other categories, latest figures reveal.
Pubs, bars and restaurants accounted for 52% of beer sales by volume in 2011, compared to 53% the previous year, the British Beer & Pub Association reported in its Statistical Handbook 2012.
Ten years ago 68% of beer sales were through the UK on-trade.
For wine last year, off-trade sales dominated, with 81% of volumes sold through shops. Spirits sales showed a similar picture, with 79% of sales in the off-trade.
In the cider category, the split was 62%/38% in favour of the off-trade. For FABs (flavoured alcohol beverages), it was more even, with 56% of sales through shops.
The figures also revealed that UK alcohol consumption per capita fell again last year, from 8.4 to 8.3 litres per head. Consumption is now 12% lower than in 2004, the BBPA said.
Meanwhile, the numbers of young people (11-15 year olds) drinking alcohol has fallen by 29 per cent since 2008, the figures show.
The BBPA took the opportunity to launch a fresh attack on the UK government's duty rates. It highlighted that UK beer tax is nine times higher than in France, and 13 times more than Germany.
"With almost 1 million jobs depending on the beer and pub sector, action is needed to bring the tax on beer more into line with neighbouring states," said BBPA chief executive Brigid Simmonds.
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer