UK: OFT reveals full concerns over AG Barr, Britvic merger
AG Barr and Britvic are convinced they can satisfy competition concerns over the deal
The authority yesterday (5 March) published its full 39-page ruling on the proposed tie-up, which it referred to the Competition Commission last month. Barr and Britvic have said they believe they can satisfy the concerns of regulators.
The OFT said the evidence showed that Britvic's brands offer a “sufficiently strong competitive constraint” to both Barr's Irn Bru and Orangina brands and that the loss of this constraint could elimiante that competition.
It added: “The OFT believes that it may be the case that the transaction will lead to an increased negotiating strength for the parties vis-à-vis customers, and hence higher prices given the resulting combination of brands.”
However, the authority said the merger would not affect water or fruit drinks as the companies do not compete “strongly” in this area.
The Competition Commission is expected to rule on the merger by July.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review