UK: OFT examines Anheuser-Busch InBev, Modelo deal
A-B InBev will face scrutiny from the UK's competition authorities over the Modelo deal
The authority said yesterday (18 September) that it is considering whether the deal will create a "merger situation" under the UK's Enterprise Act 2002. It is also examining whether "the creation of that situation may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom".
A-B InBev announced in June that it had agreed to buy the 50% of Modelo it does not already own for US$20.1bn. Modelo will sell its 50% stake in US beer import JV Crown Imports to its partner, Constellation Brands, to avoid A-B InBev facing competition issues in the US.
The OFT is also inviting comment on "any competition or public interest issues" related to the deal.
Last month it emerged that the US Department of Justice has asked A-B InBev for "additional information" over the proposed transaction.
In a statement to just-drinks today, A-B InBev said it still expects the deal to "close during the first quarter of 2013".
The statement added: "The closing of the transaction is subject to regulatory approvals in the US, Mexico and other countries – including the UK, as well as other customary closing conditions."
This four-part management briefing takes a look at the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for drinks companies in the area of logistics in the BRIC markets. Part one looks at Brazil....
This second part of the management briefing for March looks at the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for drinks companies in the area of logistics for drinks companies in Russia....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review