WTO: Officials pessimistic over geographical terms
Unusual frank pessimism has been voiced by diplomats about securing an agreement at the long-running World Trade Organisation (WTO) talks on creating a multilateral register for geographical indications on wines and spirits.
Officials have said that the supporters of legal powers protecting traditional terms, (led by the EU), "remain far apart" from those calling for a voluntary 'guidance' register, (headed by the US).
Indeed, in informal discussions, negotiators noted - unlike other recently restarted talks in the stalled Doha Development Round - the register negotiations had not even entered a "listening" phase. A new paper was proposed by Chile, but opposed on various points by the EU and its allies.
Global sales of Scotch whisky may have recently gone through the GBP1bn barrier but, writes Chris Losh, worries over declining volumes in major markets such as France and Spain have resulted in cautio...
The latest export figures for Scotch whisky make uncomfortable reading for brand marketers and the strategists at the Scotch Whisky Association, showing declines in both Asian and European markets. C...
The World Trade Organisation has upheld its ruling against Mexico in the soft drink row with the US....
World Trade Organisation talks on creating a register for wine and spirit geographical designations have failed after two years of negotiations....
India has decided not to sign a EU-proposed multilateral wines and spirits registry....
The US claims that it has won a World Trade Organisation (WTO) case against Mexico, with a disputes panel ruling a 20% tax on Mexican soft drinks manufactured with imported high-fructose corn syrup br...
The US Commerce Department has introduced preliminary anti-dumping duties of up to 60% on orange juice from Brazil following complaints from Florida citrus growers accusing Brazilian producers of comp...
The European Union (EU) has released more details of its proposed global register of geographical indications for wines and spirits it wants agreed during the World Trade Organisation's (WTO) ongoing ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research