UK: Off-trade premium wine sales up 32% in a year
Premium wine sales are booming in the UK off-trade
UK consumers’ tastes for premium products is growing as a report has revealed that sales of higher-priced wine in the country leapt by 32% in the off-trade in the year to the end of April.
The Wine and Spirit Trade Association Market Report, released today (13 June), also found that sales of malt whisky were up 31% in the UK on-trade, as well as the spike in sales of wine above GBP10 (US$15.50), in the 12-month period.
However, the report showed the price of wines and spirits overall had risen by more than twice the level of inflation, with consumers paying 6.5% more than last year for drinks. Inflation for the year to the end of April was 3%.
"The above-inflation increase in the prices of wines and spirits comes as consumers are feeling the pinch and being forced to cut back, so it's perhaps not surprising that volume sales overall are depressed,” said Gavin Partington, WSTA’s interim chief executive Gavin Partington.
But he added: “There are encouraging signs elsewhere with wine at higher price points showing strong growth over the year.”
The WSTA Market Report draws on data and analysis from Nielsen, CGA Strategy and the Wilson Drinks Report.
Last month just-drinks published its annual report looking at the UK wine trade, revealing that levels of pessimism in the country's wine market have hit a record high, with nearly half the trade downbeat about prospects for the next 12 months.
Gin has bucked a decline in overall UK alcohol sales in the last year to post a 2% rise in volumes and 8% value increase, a new report has revealed....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages