US: Off-trade beer volumes slip, but Heineken makes ground
Off-trade beer sales were down in the quarter
Off-trade beer volumes in the US fell by 3.4% in the latest quarter, but Heineken is continuing to gain market share, according to recently-released figures.
Domestic shipments for brewers in the three months to the end of February were down by 2.3%, while imports decreased by 2.9%, Nielsen figures, reported by analysts Bernstein Research today (9 April), revealed. The drop-off was attributed to a tough weather comparison.
Heineken saw the best performance, with off-trade volumes up by 3.4% in the three-month period. “The Mexican portfolio continues to drive growth while the Dutch portfolio remains weak although much improved,” Bernstein noted. However, its price-mix fell slightly, by 1.3%.
Anhesuer-Busch InBev saw its volumes lift by 0.9% in the quarter, helped by the launch of Budwesier Black Crown and improvements for Budweiser, the analysts said.
MillerCoors' off-trade volumes were “broadly flat”, but Coors Light, Blue Moon and Leinenkugel's offset drops for the rest of the portfolio, the note said.
Crown Imports had a strong quarter with volumes rising by 6.2%. In particular, Especial saw sales jump by 24% by volume, while Corona and Corona Extra both saw volumes gains of 3%.
Constellation Brands is set to take full control of Crown Imports this year. Its partner in the JV, Grupo Modelo, has agreed to offload its stake to satisfy regulators as it is bought out by Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Inbev will continue to focus on premiumisation, adding value and Increasing its channel coverage over the forecast period. The company will continue to invest heavily in marketing support and new prod...
Tom Vierhile considers the rise of cider - specifically, hard cider - in many markets around the world....
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
A small number of bottles of Constellation Brand's Svedka vodka is being recalled in four US states over fears of bottle defects....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research