US: Off-trade beer volumes slip, but Heineken makes ground
Off-trade beer sales were down in the quarter
Off-trade beer volumes in the US fell by 3.4% in the latest quarter, but Heineken is continuing to gain market share, according to recently-released figures.
Domestic shipments for brewers in the three months to the end of February were down by 2.3%, while imports decreased by 2.9%, Nielsen figures, reported by analysts Bernstein Research today (9 April), revealed. The drop-off was attributed to a tough weather comparison.
Heineken saw the best performance, with off-trade volumes up by 3.4% in the three-month period. “The Mexican portfolio continues to drive growth while the Dutch portfolio remains weak although much improved,” Bernstein noted. However, its price-mix fell slightly, by 1.3%.
Anhesuer-Busch InBev saw its volumes lift by 0.9% in the quarter, helped by the launch of Budwesier Black Crown and improvements for Budweiser, the analysts said.
MillerCoors' off-trade volumes were “broadly flat”, but Coors Light, Blue Moon and Leinenkugel's offset drops for the rest of the portfolio, the note said.
Crown Imports had a strong quarter with volumes rising by 6.2%. In particular, Especial saw sales jump by 24% by volume, while Corona and Corona Extra both saw volumes gains of 3%.
Constellation Brands is set to take full control of Crown Imports this year. Its partner in the JV, Grupo Modelo, has agreed to offload its stake to satisfy regulators as it is bought out by Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Tom Vierhile considers the rise of cider - specifically, hard cider - in many markets around the world....
A small number of bottles of Constellation Brand's Svedka vodka is being recalled in four US states over fears of bottle defects....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015