UK: Off-trade beer sales fall faster than on-trade in Q4
UK beer sales are continuing to decline
Off-trade beer sales in the UK fell at a higher rate than on-trade sales in the last quarter of 2012, new figures have revealed.
The British Beer & Pub Association's quarterly 'Beer Barometer', published today (25 January), shows that off-trade sales in the three months to the end of December were down by 7.5% year-on-year to the equivalent of 3.7m barrels. Sales in the on-trade were down by 4.8% to 3.6m barrels in the same period.
Overall UK beer sales dropped by 6.2% in the fourth quarter.
The BBPA said the figures showed a “pressing need” for the UK Government to review its alcohol duty escalator in the upcoming Budget in March. Under the escalator system, duty is automatically raised 2% above inflation, currently until 2014/15.
A major industry campaign against the measure has so far failed to change the Goverment's stance on the issue.
BBPA chief executive Brigid Simmonds, said: “We’ve had tax hikes of 42% since March 2008, which is hugely damaging and completely unacceptable for such an important manufacturing sector.”
Figures released in September showed that UK on-trade beer sales in the on-trade still marginally outweigh sales in shops.
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research