USA: Ocean Spray Chooses Welch's Marketing Head as President & Chief Operating Officer
Randy C. Papadellis, the marketing chief behind the dramatic growth of the Welch's brand in the 1990s, has been tapped by Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc., as President & Chief Operating Officer, reporting to new CEO Rob Hawthorne. Papadellis, 42, Senior Vice President of Marketing of Concord, Mass.-based Welch Foods Inc., has overseen a doubling of Welch's market share and a surge in sales revenue from $425 million to nearly $700 million since 1994. Papadellis led the team that introduced the most successful advertising campaign in Welch's history. The national campaign, featuring children as spokespeople, has earned Welch's and Papadellis several advertising awards. Equally as impressive to Ocean Spray, a cooperative owned by cranberry and grapefruit growers, Papadellis has helped deliver a 50 percent increase in earnings to the grape growers who own Welch's, the processing and marketing arm of the National Grape Cooperative Association. "With that kind of track record in the marketplace -- and that kind of financial performance for growers -- Randy Papadellis simply is the perfect match for Ocean Spray," said CEO Hawthorne, the former Pillsbury executive hired in January to engineer a turnaround of the cooperative. As President and COO, Papadellis will report directly to Hawthorne and oversee all day-to-day operations of the $1.36 billion company, the number-one brand of canned and bottled juice drinks in the U.S. He starts at Ocean Spray July 10. Before joining Welch's in 1994, Papadellis already was a respected veteran of the food and beverage industry. He began his career with Frito Lay in 1981, and moved on to become Vice President of Marketing for Cadbury Beverages North America. Papadellis holds an MBA in marketing and finance from Cornell University and a bachelor's in business and government from Colby College.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends