FRANCE: Oaktree Capital offloads 38% stake in Belvedere

By | 4 October 2013

Oaktree Capital was one of Belvederes creditors

Oaktree Capital was one of Belvedere's creditors

Oaktree Capital Management has relinquished its entire stake in French drinks group Belvédère.

The US-based private equity group, which last week launched an IPO for a stake in its Stock Spirits division, has offloaded its holding via its Pilgrim subsidiary. The news was confirmed in a statement issued by France's stock market regulator, l'Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF), earlier this week.

In March this year, Belvédère gained court approval for its debt restructuring plan, which saw its creditors take 87% of its capital. Current shareholders, which include actor Bruce Willis, saw their stakes reduced to a pro-rata share of the remaining 13%.

As one of Belvédère's larger creditors, Oaktree subsequently became the French company's major shareholder with a 38.09% stake.

The fund declined to comment on the pull-out, but in previous statements had made it clear that it had no intention of becoming an 'active' shareholder in Belvédère, nor of taking a hands-on role in its management.

just-drinks understands that Oaktree's stake was sold gradually over recent months to a number of investors whose identities are unknown, there being no obligation to reveal them to the AMF as none hold 5% or more of the group's capital.

Separately, at a meeting of Belvédère's shareholders, chairman & CEO Krzysztof Trylinski resigned following the composition of a new board. Trylinski will remain in his post until a new appointment is made, and has indicated that he is ready to stand as a candidate if the board agrees.

Expert analysis

Belvedere S.A. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report

"Belvedere S.A. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and services, SWOT analysis, business description, company history, financial analysis, recent developments, key employees, company locations and subsidiaries, employee biographies as well as competitive benchmarking data.

Sectors: Spirits

View next/previous articles

Currently reading -

FRANCE: Oaktree Capital offloads 38% stake in Belvedere

There are currently no comments on this article

Be the first to comment on this article

Related research

Belvedere S.A. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report

"Belvedere S.A. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and services, SWOT a...

Global market review of vodka – forecasts to 2018

Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....

Related articles

US: Belvedere's Imperial Brands agrees Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum distribution deal

Imperial Brands has agreed a deal to handle rum brand Sammy's Beach Bar in the US and Canada.

just the Round-Up - The week in drinks

The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:

FRANCE: Belvedere posts full-year sales dip

Belvédère has reported falling sales in 2013, although the French drinks group saw the second half of the year produce an improvement on H1.

just-drinks tagline

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page