UK/US: Oaktree Capital nears Stock Spirits divestment - report
Could Stock Spirits be about to change hands?
Oaktree Capital is approaching a sale of its Stocks Spirits division, according to reports.
The private equity group, which considered both a sale and an IPO two years ago, is in exclusive talks with Pamplona Capital Management about divesting the spirits company, which dominates Central and Eastern Europe. Sky News reported earlier today (21 January) that Pamplona could pay up to EUR700m (US$932.5m) for Stock, which claims to be the number one spirits group by volume in both Poland and Czech.
Pamplona is backed by Alfa Group, a company headed by Mikhail Fridman, according to Sky News. The Russian businessman is a member of the AAR alliance, which last year ended its oil JV with BP in Russia by selling out to Rosneft, it was reported.
Sky did not cite specific sources in its report. No-one at Stock Spirits was immediately available for comment when contacted by just-drinks this morning.
US-based Oaktree set up Stock Spirits after it bought Polish distiller Polmos Lublin in 2006 and Stock Plzen in Czech a year later. In an interview with just-drinks in 2010, Stock’s CEO, Chris Heath said that Oaktree’s plan would be to eventually either sell off or float the division. “That is the way private equity works,” he said at the time.
Only last month, the division bought Slovak spirits producer Imperator and ethanol manufacturing business Novel Ferm.
This month, Ian Buxton looks at attempts to increase environmental sustainability by Scotland's distillers, through the waste that they generate....
The most unexpected new product in the white spirits world so far this year has to be Burrough's Reserve, a sipping gin from Pernod Ricard's team at Beefeater. Chris Mercer looks at the launch of the ...
Glazer's has raised its profile in Tennessee through the purchase of another distributor in the state....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review