NEW ZEALAND: NZ's Matua Valley Wines is up for sale
Matua Valley Wines, one of New Zealand's major wine exporters, is putting up the "For Sale" sign.PriceWaterhouse is managing the sale of a 47.5% stake in the company, currently held by the Margan Family Trust who have been involved with Matua for more than 20 years.Matua Valley is the sixth largest winemaker in New Zealand with one third of its NZ$12m a year sales coming from exports.Wine industry sources believe that Matua is likely to attract attention from high profile bidders including Fosters, Southcorp and BRL Hardy, all of which have signalled their intent to build bigger operations in the Kiwi market.BRL Hardy bought Nobilo Wines earlier this year and Fosters was in the running to buy the DB Group's Corbans wine subsidiary - which was eventually sold to Montana.Matua's remaining shareholding is held by joint managing directors Ross and Bill Spence (who own 47.5%) and chief winemaker Mark Robertson (5%).Bill Spence told just-drinks.com that he would not be selling his stake and said he hoped the buyer would be someone he could work with.The Margan family's decision to sell its stake reflects a growing trend among New Zealand wineries to sell up as they are attracting large offers from overseas companies interested in the market.just-drinks.com revealed two weeks ago that some Kiwi winemakers were getting four or five multi-million dollar offers from overseas agents every month.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018