NEW ZEALAND: NZ's Matua Valley Wines is up for sale
Matua Valley Wines, one of New Zealand's major wine exporters, is putting up the "For Sale" sign.PriceWaterhouse is managing the sale of a 47.5% stake in the company, currently held by the Margan Family Trust who have been involved with Matua for more than 20 years.Matua Valley is the sixth largest winemaker in New Zealand with one third of its NZ$12m a year sales coming from exports.Wine industry sources believe that Matua is likely to attract attention from high profile bidders including Fosters, Southcorp and BRL Hardy, all of which have signalled their intent to build bigger operations in the Kiwi market.BRL Hardy bought Nobilo Wines earlier this year and Fosters was in the running to buy the DB Group's Corbans wine subsidiary - which was eventually sold to Montana.Matua's remaining shareholding is held by joint managing directors Ross and Bill Spence (who own 47.5%) and chief winemaker Mark Robertson (5%).Bill Spence told just-drinks.com that he would not be selling his stake and said he hoped the buyer would be someone he could work with.The Margan family's decision to sell its stake reflects a growing trend among New Zealand wineries to sell up as they are attracting large offers from overseas companies interested in the market.just-drinks.com revealed two weeks ago that some Kiwi winemakers were getting four or five multi-million dollar offers from overseas agents every month.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends