NEW ZEALAND: NZ's brandy elbows between its Cognac cousins
New Zealand's only brandy is now on store shelves competing with the great European cognacs.Johanneshof winemakers Warwick Foley and Edeltraud Everling have just completed a batch of the country's only commercially made brandy. The pair have a winery near Blenheim in Marlborough - a region more famous for its Sauvignon Blancs.But Foley says they wanted to try something adventurous so hired local miners to blast an underground cellar and have been working on the brandy since 1994.This year's Edelbrand grape brandy will be sold, in limited quantities, in Kiwi liquor stores and the couple hope it will become a regular feature. "It compares quite fairly with the cognacs," Foleytold just-drinks.com."Ours is also the first purpose built underground cellar in the country. You go to Europe and walk into the cellars and it just blows you away. Just the way they do it - it makes a big difference and in New Zealand things are not so professional. Sometimes I think that if potatoes were $10 a kilo, they would all grow potatoes. Many growers just don't have a passion for wine or a sense of adventure."NZ has had the occasional brandy but Foley says this is usually the result of wine that has gone bad and the makers have sought to salvage something. But the country's first purpose-made brandy isunlikely to be conquering European pallets as the production run is limited and expensive - very much a labour of love, says Foley.About 900 bottles of Edelbrand have already been produced at 38% volume. But it takes 3,000 litres or quality wine to make 225 litres of brandy - and grapes are not cheap in New Zealand. Taxes are also crippling and Foley says that the low profitability stifles innovation.Johanneshof also grows Sauvignon Blanc, Reisling and Chardonnay grapes.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research