NEW ZEALAND: NZ Wine Institute strikes back at press reports
The Wine Institute of New Zealand has denied the industry's international presence is under threat after press reports that certain members would withdraw due to lack of investment.The Institute refuted claims in NZ newspaper, The Business Herald, which just-drinks.com published last week, that its generic export promotion policy was in trouble."Contrary to media reports, the Wine Institute has received no indication from any winery that they will be withdrawing from the industry's programme of collective export promotions for 2000/2001," said the Institute's Anne-Marie McKenzie export marketing manager.The Institute went on the explain it had "recently proposed the industry's largest ever export promotional programme with a planned investment of NZ$2m." McKenzie explained: "Wineries participate in the programme on a voluntary user-pays basis and while the cut-off date for sign up is not until August 4, a number of wineries have already responded favourably. Wineries were briefed at the start of June on the programme via a series of seminars and mailings and the response to date has been uniformly positive."Despite being a tiny player in world terms (0.2% of global production), the last decade has seen the New Zealand wine industry deliver strong growth in international sales (from NZ$18m in 1990 to an anticipated NZ$160m in 2000). Of the Institute's funding, only 9% constituted generic promotional spend invested by the Institute on behalf of wineries during the past year and only 4% this year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets