US: NY spirits auctions legalised
Liquor auctions have been legalised in New York.
The Distilled Spirits Council, which has been lobbying for the bill, said yesterday (16 August) that the new law, passed by Governor Eliot Spitzer, will allow liquor connoisseurs to bid legally for rare spirits. The first auction, planned by NYWines Christie's, will be held at Christies auction house in the city in December.
Head of Christie's Americas wine sales, Richard Brierley said: "We are currently accepting consignments of vintage Cognac, Armagnac, Scottish, Irish and American whiskies, bourbon and other traditional spirits."
The council said that large amounts of spirits sales had previously been lost to other international auction centres, because spirit auctions have been illegal in New York.
Distilled Spirits Council president Peter Cressy added: "Not only will this accelerate the consumer trend for super premium spirits products, but it will bring new revenue to state coffers. We commend the legislature for passing the bill and Governor Spitzer for signing it into law."
The US Distilled Spirits Council is a national trade association representing distilled spirits brands. Council member products include Bourbon, Scotch and other whiskeys, vodka, gin, Tequila, rum, brandy, cordials and liqueurs.
Premium and super-premium brands have been important drivers in the growing vodka category for some time but among the key trends forecast in a recent report on the vodka market from just-drinks is th...
In acquiring 50%-ownership and global distribution rights to premium vodka brand Ketel One Diageo confirmed its withdrawal from the auction for Absolut. Moreover, writes Ben Cooper, the move for Ketel...
Belvédère has seen acquisitions in 2007 drive sales for the year to record highs....
Castle Brands has reported a steep rise in net loss for its third fiscal quarter, as falling volumes have hit the bottom line....
Jones Soda Co. has teamed up with Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air to serve its drinks on their daily flights....
The launch of the new sales management company Compass Brands offers premium spirits owners a way to enter the US market....
Vin & Sprit has shrugged off reports that the Swedish state exaggerated its prospective results in a prospectus used to promote the sale of the company....
French alcohol producer Belvedere has confirmed that it has acquired the Cherkasy distillery as part of plans to enter the Ukrainian market....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018