Nostalgia plays its part as PepsiCo returns Crystal Pepsi to US shelves
PepsiCo's clear Crystal Pepsi was first available in the 1990s
PepsiCo is returning the 1990s-era Crystal Pepsi to its North American portfolio for a limited time.
The clear cola will be available across retail and food service channels in Canada and the US from 8 July to 11 August, PepsiCo said today. The move follows a relaunch of Crystal Pepsi in December limited to users of PepsiCo's Pepsi Pass app.
"We've always had a special place in our heart for Crystal Pepsi, and there has been a huge groundswell of support to bring it back," said Stacy Taffet, senior director of marketing for Pepsi.
Soft drinks companies are increasingly using nostalgia as the basis for relaunching discontinued beverages.
In April, The Coca-Cola Co said it had listened to consumer demand to bring back the 1980s fruit juice-flavoured drink Hi-C Ecto Cooler. The company also returned the citrus drink Surge to US shelves in 2014 after what it called "persistent" demand.
In 2011, PepsiCo re-launched three "classic" Mountain Dew flavours - Mountain Dew Pitch Black, Mountain Dew Supernova and Mountain Dew Typhoon - for a limited time.
In the same month that PepsiCo's knuckles got a consumer-driven wrap, Richard Corbett looks back at the adverts that have tested brand loyalty in the soft drinks arena....
PepsiCo envisions a continued focus on what it has coined “Performance with Purpose”. Through this focus, PepsiCo is looking to improve and expand its product portfolio with nutritional products to me...
Functional powder drink concentrates contain vitamins, herbs, pre- and probiotic live bacteria, yeasts, non-digestible fiber, and various amino acids. These concentrates constitute a segment of non-al...
In a rather fitting match, White Castle, a fast food restaurant chain, announced in October 2016 that it will begin selling Monster energy drinks nationwide. The move came one year after it was announ...
The NAFTA Carbonated Soft Drinks industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2011-15, and forecast to 202...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends