UK: Northern Ireland clamps down on drinks promotions
The off-trade is also included in the code
A new code to clampdown on "irresponsible" drinks promotions in Northern Ireland is set to go live tomorrow (1 September).
The Joint Industry Code for the Responsible Promotion and Retail of Alcohol in Northern Ireland has been set-up due to concerns about binge-drinking. It will cover both the on-trade and off-trade, a spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks.
Under the self-regulatory system, complaints can be submitted to an independent panel of experts. If upheld, the complaint will then be made public and communicated to the police and council.
The code had a soft launch three months ago, giving licensees time to adapt to the system.
At the launch of the code, Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland said: “I very much welcome the opportunity to work with the drinks industry to end irresponsible drinks promotions which encourage excessive consumption of alcohol.”
Colin Neill, chief executive of the representative body Pubs of Ulster, said: "We believe irresponsible drinks promotions have no place in our industry and will provide members with on-going support and advice to ensure they do not accidently breach the code.”
Plans are also under way to introduce a minimum price on alcohol in Northern Ireland, in a joint strategy with the Republic of Ireland. Scotland is set to introduce a minimum price next year and England and Wales are expected to follow.
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018