UK: North America, emerging markets stay strong for Diageo FY
- Full-year net profits leap by 25.2% to GBP2.59bn (US$3.96bn) on lower reported tax rate
- Net sales in the 12 months to the end of June increase by 6.2% to GBP11.43bn
- Operating profits rise by 8.6% to GBP3.43bn
- Reiterated medium-term guidance of 6% year-on-year sales lift
Diageo reiterated its medium-term guidance of 6% year-on-year sales increase
Diageo has hailed a strong performance from North America in its full-year, with emerging markets continuing to prop up Western Europe in the period.
The company said this morning (31 July) that net profits for the 12 months to the end of June came in at GBP2.59bn (US$3.96bn), a year-on-year rise of 25.2%. The marked increase was mainly due to a reduced reported tax rate for the year, down to 16.9% from 33.3% a year earlier.
Net sales in the period were up by 6.2% on a reported basis - by 5% in organic terms - to GBP11.43bn, while operating profits rose by 8.6% to GBP3.43bn.
Net sales in the North America region rose by 5% in the year, as the Africa, Eastern Europe & Turkey and Latin America & Caribbean regions both delivered double digit sales increases.
Sales in Western Europe continued to struggle, falling by 4%, while Asia Pacific could only deliver a 3% lift.
The full-year sales numbers are broadly in line with the state of play after the first nine months of Diageo's fiscal year.
In today's statement, new CEO Ivan Menezes confirmed that Diageo remains "on track to deliver our medium-term guidance". The company is targetting sales year-on-year sales growth of 6%
Diageo's board has recommended a 9% increase in the final dividend to shareholders.
The firm's shares opened down slightly this morning, trading at GBP19.585 at 0820 BST.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the role of wine in the company’s wide-ranging alcoholic drinks operations, considering op...
Beer in Ireland industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile a...
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch