RUSSIA: No alcohol sales restrictions - Putin
The Russian alcohol market will not be hit by sales restrictions, according to the country's president.
In a televised question-and-answer session yesterday (25 October), Vladimir Putin said: "There will be no repetition of the experience of the 1980s, when we fought against alcohol use with prohibitive measures."
At the same time, Putin defended the introduction of new excise regulations in Russia earlier this year, which led to severe alcohol shortages on Russian shelves. The authorities failed to produce enough tax stamps for legitimate product, hitting availability of both domestic and imported alcoholic product. The measure is part of the Russian government's attempts to curb the amount of counterfeit and illegal alcohol in the market.
Despite defending the measures, Putin blamed the country's prime minister for failing to identify and punish officials responsible for the situation.
"Officials and the government - top-level officials - appeared unprepared, failed to take into account all the problems and the scale of the work that was to be done, and did not take prompt measures to bring order (to the market)," Putin said.
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
Norwegian wine sales and consumer purchasing trends have continued their upward trend, according to recent figures....
Representatives of the UK's four largest supermarket operators staunchly defended their price discounting policies on alcoholic drinks at a meeting organised yesterday (18 April) by the All Party Parl...
American teenage girls drink more than their parents realise, according to recent research....
The EU Wine Plan for Responsible Consumption Communication has been launched in the UK....
Central European Distribution Corporation is looking to buy an unnamed drinks distributor in Poland....
US beverage distributor Rémy Cointreau USA has created a new role for a control state director within the firm....
The European Parliament's economics committee has backed abolishing European Union (EU) common excise duty minimum rates....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends