UK: Nichols makes “strong” start to year
UK soft drinks group Nichols has reported a "strong" start to the year, driven by sales of its flagship Vimto brand, the company announced at its AGM today (20 May).
John Nichols, group non-executive chairman, said that Vimto sales increased 11.8% in the 12 weeks to 18 April 2009, against a total UK soft drinks market increase of 0.6%.
He added that the company expects first-half sales to benefit from the earlier timing of Ramadan in 2009 over 2008. Vimto, a non-alcoholic fruit drink, is consumed widely in the Middle East during Ramadan.
In the UK Nichols praised the company's growth against a backdrop of recession and a tough economic climate.
The company's new Vimto TV advertising campaign for 2009 is scheduled to begin on 5 June, aimed at "reinforcing brand recognition" amongst its target audiences.
Nichols' dispense operation, which includes the recently acquired Dayla business, has also started the year well and is trading ahead of internal expectations, the company said.
"At this early stage, we are pleased with the group's continued progress and we are confident of delivering both sales and earnings growth in line with expectations for the full-year," Nichols said.
The firm saw its profits fall by nearly 50% in 2008 due to a write-down charge on its Panda drinks brand.
UK drinks group Halewood International is to enter the gin market after signing a strategic alliance to sell and market Whitley Neill Gin....
The head of Pernod Ricard in the UK, Jean-Manuel Spriet, has told just-drinks that the group will reinvest budget for the recently sold Tia Maria brand in driving growth of Absolut vodka in the countr...
French drinks group Marnier-Lapostolle has unveiled a limited edition Grand Marnier for the Christmas season....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research