UK: Newspapers go to European Court in Interbrew case
A High Court judge and three Court of Appeal judges have ruled that the documents, which were sent to the groups from a hitherto anonymous source, should be surrendered to Interbrew.
The case has carried on even though in July Interbrew dropped its case against the media groups. Since then, the case has been taken over by the UK financial watchdog, the Financial Service Authority (FSA).
In a joint submission to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, The Independent, The Guardian, the Financial Times, The Times and Reuters, said the judgment of the UK courts represented a breach of the right to freedom of expression. They also question the judges' conclusion that disclosure was "necessary in a democratic society."
The documents in question, which it is now believed had been doctored, suggested that a takeover bid by Interbrew for South African Breweries was imminent. The FSA now contends that the newspapers had been used in a scam to manipulate the share price of both companies.
Companies: Anheuser-Busch InBev
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
SUN Interbrew is looking to relinquish its stake in Pivoindustriya Primorya....
Interbrew UK has poached two marketing managers from rival brewers....
Interbrew is to place a £1m support package behind its Czech brand Staropramen in the UK....
InBev has announced that the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of US$33.41 for the remaining Class A (non-voting) shares in SUN Interbrew, along with Class A Securitie...
SUN Interbrew is looking to buy into a Siberian brewer, according to local press reports....
Interbrew UK has announced plans to launch a new speciality beer....
InBev has extended the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of USD33.41 in cash for the remaining shares and Securities that it does not already own in SUN Interbrew (SIL...
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends