US: New York lawmaker warns against fighting energy drinks firms
A New York country health board has proposed an energy drinks ban
A New York state legislator overseeing a proposed energy drinks crackdown says he wants to work with the industry and not fight “tooth and nail” with companies.
Legislator William Spencer, who chairs Suffolk County's health committee, said he supports a health board's proposal to ban energy drinks to under-19s but the bigger picture must be considered. “I'm not a big fan of bans and regulations,” Spencer told just-drinks yesterday (23 January). “I'm a fan of responsible regulation.”
In November, the American Beverage Association hit out at the Suffolk County health board's proposal, calling it a “slippery slope”. The five-member board, which does not have the authority to produce legislation, voted in favour of the ban and has written a letter to the county legislature urging it to pass a law.
However, Spencer, who controls the board's funding but does not speak for it, warned against government overreaction to hot-topic issues. “Sometimes the government reaction can be uneffective and reactionary,” he said. “As a legislator, I'm concerned about health, but also about business.”
Spencer, who met with energy drinks companies Red Bull and Monster last week, said it was “good governance” to hear industry concerns and said that he is keen to co-operate with “responsible players”.
“I think that is a far more effective course as opposed to shutting them out, proceeding on your own, having them fight you tooth and nail,” he said.
He also said he is unable to predict the outcome of the board's proposal but believes regulation banning energy drinks companies sending samples to minors in the post is likely.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd takes a look at the global development of commercialised iced coffee drinks and asks, would a figurehead provide the necessary boost to take the category fro...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future