CHINA: New Year cheer as Cognac rebounds - figures
Cognac took a hit in December
China's Cognac shipments are back on track as Chinese New Year sales have kicked- in, according to new figures.
Direct shipments to the country last month jumped by 72% year-on-year, analyst UBS said citing Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) data. The jump pushed China's six-month rolling volumes average to +1.3% year-on-year, up from -5.4% in December, according to the figures.
In December, sales were down by 28% on the previous year because a later-than-usual Chinese New Year meant customers delayed purchases, UBS said. January also benefited from a soft comparison from last year (-20%) and the end of China's government transition that saw president Xi Jinping take control in November, UBS said.
In the US, the biggest Cognac market by volume ahead of China, January shipments declined by 16% year-on-year after a strong December, the figures showed. The six-month volumes average for January was -0.9% but value stood at +7.4%, highlighting a positive price/mix, UBS said.
In November, an analyst said Cognac sales in China were slowing but there was still room for growth in the country.
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends