UK: New WSTA chief executive takes up role
Miles Beale, who took up his role as the WSTA's new chief executive this week
The Wine and Spirirt Trade Association's new chief executive, Miles Beale, has officially started in the role this week.
Beale, who was appointed in March, began his duties on Monday (18 June), just-drinks understands. He attended Pernod Ricard's annual summer party in Central London last night as part of an effort to familiarise himself with the industry.
Beale was previously deputy director for EU and international agriculture policy at DEFRA and has spent his career to date in the civil service.
“It’s an exciting time to be joining the WSTA and I look forward to working with colleagues throughout the industry as we tackle the major issues facing the sector," Beale told just-drinks. "I hope my experience of working in government can help us make our case effectively on behalf of the trade.”
Among his challenges will be the continued battle against the Scottish and Westminster government's plans for minimum pricing and the alcohol duty escalator.
The WSTA's head of communications, Gavin Partington, filled in as interim chief executive in the intervening period.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2012....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review