INDIA: New standards for bottled mineral water
In addition, the BIS is now to use the capillary column system for testing water as opposed to the packed column test previously used.
But according to manufacturers, the new directive is similar to existing regulations. "Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS) norms, as of today, are consistent with World Health Organisation (WHO) norms, so I don't see much difference in the the new directive that the ministry has announced," said Ramesh Chauhan, chairman of Parle Bisleri Ltd.
A spokesperson for Coca-Cola India said: "We wish to emphasise that the quality of our Kinley water conforms to the highest international standards and meets the quality standards for potable drinking water set by WHO. Kinley water meets and far excels the quality standards set by BIS for the bottled drinking water industry."
The issue of pesticide contamination in bottled water has arisen following tests conducted on mineral and bottled water by the Centre for Science and Environment which found pesticide residue levels 104 times higher than the internationally accepted norms. In addition, residues were found in bottled water of extremely harmful pesticides such as DDT, chloropirifor, lindane and malathion. Previous BIS had not revealed any such pesticides.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts