JAPAN: New Products from Japan
New type of can with screw cap A revolutionary new type of aluminum can with a screw cap is set to become the next hit product. Called the bottle can, it was first launched back in May by Kirin Brewery and Sapporo Breweries for their mainstay lager beers. All the top brewers except Asahi Breweries have been suffering loss of market share and falling sales. Desperate to reverse this trend, two major strategies have been adopted. The main tactic was the launch by Suntory and Sapporo Breweries some years ago, followed more recently by Kirin, of happoshu. This is similar to beer but produced from a very low malt content. The name in English for this type of brew keeps changing. It was called sparkling malt beverage but now the name beer taste seems to have become popular. Whatever it is called, it has been the saviour of Kirin and Suntory and to a lesser extent of Sapporo Breweries. The new bottle can has become popular because it can be reclosed, so it is not necessary to drink the entire contents at once. It is also popular because it is a novelty in a land where novelty is highly prized. Now Kirin Brewery has launched its hit product happoshu called Tanrei in the new bottle can. 450ml Y175. Sales target 7000,000 cases.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends