LIWF 2013 - UK: New guild puts gin on the agenda
The Gin Guild now has 40 members
The head of a new UK trade body for gin has said that the spirit requires its own representation, because it is “more complex” than vodka.
At the London International Wine Fair today (21 May), Nicholas Cook, director general of The Gin Guild, told just-drinks that gin is “such a big area” that it needed more focused support. Founding members Diageo, William Grant & Sons, Bacardi and Chivas Brothers helped spin The Gin Guild out from the Worshipful Company of Distillers in October, Cook said.
It now has 40 members and aims to bring gin makers together to promote the spirit around the world.
Cook said the organisation will operate along the same lines as whisky guild The Keepers of The Quaich. The Gin Guild has already held a “gin debate” at JP Morgan's office's in London this month, with a repeat performance due tomorrow at the LIWF.
For editor Olly Wehring's opinion on the debate held earlier this month, click here.
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those th...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research