LIWF 2013 - UK: New guild puts gin on the agenda
The Gin Guild now has 40 members
The head of a new UK trade body for gin has said that the spirit requires its own representation, because it is “more complex” than vodka.
At the London International Wine Fair today (21 May), Nicholas Cook, director general of The Gin Guild, told just-drinks that gin is “such a big area” that it needed more focused support. Founding members Diageo, William Grant & Sons, Bacardi and Chivas Brothers helped spin The Gin Guild out from the Worshipful Company of Distillers in October, Cook said.
It now has 40 members and aims to bring gin makers together to promote the spirit around the world.
Cook said the organisation will operate along the same lines as whisky guild The Keepers of The Quaich. The Gin Guild has already held a “gin debate” at JP Morgan's office's in London this month, with a repeat performance due tomorrow at the LIWF.
For editor Olly Wehring's opinion on the debate held earlier this month, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those th...
Bacardi’s position as the world’s 12th biggest wine company by volume is based almost entirely on its Martini vermouth and other sparkling wine brand variants. With these products focused in the matur...
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly