LIWF 2013 - UK: New guild puts gin on the agenda
The Gin Guild now has 40 members
The head of a new UK trade body for gin has said that the spirit requires its own representation, because it is “more complex” than vodka.
At the London International Wine Fair today (21 May), Nicholas Cook, director general of The Gin Guild, told just-drinks that gin is “such a big area” that it needed more focused support. Founding members Diageo, William Grant & Sons, Bacardi and Chivas Brothers helped spin The Gin Guild out from the Worshipful Company of Distillers in October, Cook said.
It now has 40 members and aims to bring gin makers together to promote the spirit around the world.
Cook said the organisation will operate along the same lines as whisky guild The Keepers of The Quaich. The Gin Guild has already held a “gin debate” at JP Morgan's office's in London this month, with a repeat performance due tomorrow at the LIWF.
For editor Olly Wehring's opinion on the debate held earlier this month, click here.
Bacardi’s position as the world’s 12th biggest wine company by volume is based almost entirely on its Martini vermouth and other sparkling wine brand variants. With these products focused in the matur...
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those th...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research