NORWAY: New Government to shake up drinks sector
Norway’s newly-elected centre-right Government is about to herald a major shake-up of the country’s drinks sector.
Both the Conservatives (Høyre) and the Progress Party (Framskrittspartiet), who are partners in the country's coalition, both back the sale of high abv beer and wine in grocery stores. Moreover, the coalition aims to liberalise cross-border purchases by increasing the present NOK200 (US$33.50) limit to NOK1,000 ($166) for both duty-free shopping and products purchased from VAT-free foreign online stores.
The proposals are opposed by trade groups that are battling against falling sales in Norway, in the face of rising cross-border imports of cheaper beer, spirits and soft drinks from Sweden and Russia. Vin- og Brennevinleverandørenes Forening (Norwegian Wine & Spirit Suppliers) estimates the proposed liberalisation could cost the sector NOK10bn ($1.7bn) a year in lost sales.
At present, only beers and wines with an abv of 4.75% or lower can be sold in grocery stores. State-owned Vinmonopolet retains the monopoly on the sale of alcohol with a higher abv rating.
The Future of the Spirits Market in Norway to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Spirits consumption trends in Norway, historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, brand share, alcoholic strength, price s...read more
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report