UK: New Amsterdam set fair in UK, says E&J Gallo, as vodka flatlines
E&J Gallo launched New Amsterdam in the UK late last year
The head of E&J Gallo's European operations has defended the company's recent launch of the New Amsterdam vodka brand in the UK, despite a dip in vodka sales in the country.
Gallo extended the footprint for New Amsterdam, which is also available in the US, into the UK late last year. However, recent figures from Euromonitor show that the vodka category in the country slipped in 2012 by 0.2% in volume terms.
Speaking to just-drinks at Gallo's annual trade media update in London today (25 February), VP & general manager for Europe, Middle East and Africa, Bill Roberts, said that the brand could still do well in the UK.
“We're on track with where we thought we'd be with the brand,” he said.
“I'm not worried that we've missed the boat. Any good brand initiative can correct that. I use (Gallo's wine brand) Barefoot as an example: The UK wine category is declining in volumes, but Barefoot is a good wine initiative: Look how well it's performing. So, it doesn't bother me at all.”
Regarding the slip in vodka volumes in the country last year, Roberts said: “That makes our work harder, there's no doubt. It's not ideal.”
Gallo will boost New Amsterdam's portfolio in the UK with the addition of flavour variants “18 months from now”, Roberts told just-drinks.
Looking ahead, Roberts said that the company will also launch New Amsterdam in Germany and the Netherlands, with plans to roll out to Ghana and Nigeria.
The UK Spirits Market: What Consumers Drink and Why?
This report provides the results for the Spirits market in the UK from Canadean’s unique, highly detailed study of consumers’ Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an ove...read more
E. & J. Gallo Winery - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service off...
E & J Gallo is the global leader in wine although it remains reliant on the US market for the bulk of its sales. The company has seen strong growth due to rising demand among US millennials for wine. ...
Wine in Sweden industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descriptions ...
Global Wine industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descriptions of ...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review