SWITZERLAND: Nestle will improve in 2003 chairman says
In remarks prepared for the company's annual meeting Gut said: "It is clear that we will continue to face an unfavourable environment [but] we are confident that we will be able to improve once more the group's performance this year."
In 2002 Nestle saw its sales increase 5.3% to 89.2 billion Swiss francs (US$64.87 billion). However it has set itself a target of 4% growth in real internal growth, which strips out currency movements, price changes and acquisitions. Last year the company managed only 3.4% growth on these terms.
Despite this Gut said he would sacrifice margins to meet these growth targets.
"We have always stated that we will not take any measures aimed solely at achieving this objective in any one particular year, if such a measure would have a negative effect on margins and profitability," Gut said. He added that Nestle was on target to meet cost saving programmes the company had implemented, which would save it billions of francs over the next few years.
There will also be a continuation of targeted acquisitions to strengthen Nestle's position in key markets, both in terms of geographical spread and range of activities.
While the overall market for tea in the UK has declined by some 12% over the past five years, iced tea consumption is on the rise. Annette Sessions reports on the potential for iced tea in the UK and ...
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
Swiss multinational Nestlé has reported a robust set of figures for the first nine months of 2005 with organic sales up 5.8%....
Nestle Waters Direct Portugal is to by the Portuguese office delivery water company Peyroteo & Caravela, it was reported this week....
Nestle Waters is to bottle its Contrex and Vittel water brands at the same plant in France, according to local press reports....
Nestea, the tea brand developed jointly by Coca-Cola and Nestle, has announced that it is to introduce Nestea Ice, already available in the Asia-Pacific region, in the US....
Nestle Waters has bought a majority stake in a new joint venture in Algeria....
Nestle Waters Spain has inaugurated a new water plant in Herrera del Duque near Badajoz, western Spain, a company spokesman has confirmed to just-drinks....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020