US: Nestle Waters upgrades Eco-Shape bottle
Nestle Waters North America has upgraded its Eco-Shape bottle, the company's latest step in its commitment to reduce plastic use.
Nestle Waters said yesterday (16 December) that the new bottle will help it to achieve its goal of reducing plastic half-litre, single-serve bottles by an additional 15% by 2010.
The update of the 2007 Eco-Shape bottle weighs 9.3 grams on average and contains 60% less plastic than the company's original bottle launched in the mid-1990's.
"Bottled water continues to be one of the fastest growing packaged beverages," said Andrius Dapkus, director of innovations and renovations at Nestle Waters North America.
"With about 70% of US households drinking bottled water, reducing the plastic in our bottles is one of the best ways to reduce our carbon footprint."
The bottle will be launched for Poland Spring, Brand Natural Spring Water, Arrowhead Brand Mountain Spring Water and Nestle Pure Life Purified Water.
Nestle Waters will extend the lighter Eco-Shape bottle to its remaining brands in spring 2010. A roll-out of additional product sizes will also begin in 2010.
Separately, Nestle Waters this week criticised a plan to introduce a tax on locally-produced bottled water in Michigan to help authorities pay for education grants.
Michigan Lt Governor John Cherry has proposed a US$0.1 bottle tax on bottled water produced within the state.
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends