US: Nestle Waters North America to buy Sweet Leaf Tea Co
Nestle Waters North America made an initial US$15.6m investment in Sweet Leaf last year
Nestle Waters North America is to acquire the Sweet Leaf Tea Co from private equity firm Catterton Partners.
The bottled water firm made an initial US$15.6m investment in Austin, Texas-based Sweet Leaf in March last year, with an option to buy the company outright at a later date. The purchase, announced yesterday (5 May), will include the Sweet Leaf and Tradewinds beverage brands.
No financial details of the transaction have been disclosed.
The acquisition, which remains subject to regulatory approval, will expand Nestle Waters' beverage portfolio of bottled water to include iced teas, lemonades and juice drinks.
The Sweet Leaf and Tradewinds brands' combined sales totalled around $53m in 2010. Sweet Leaf Tea Co staff will continue to manage the brands going forward.
"With Nestle Waters bringing increased capabilities, we will be able to offer Sweet Leaf and Tradewinds beverages to more people across the US," said Sweet Leaf Tea's CEO, Dan Costello.
According to Leatherhead Food Research, the global market for functional food and beverages, currently worth around US$23bn, is set to grow by between 3% and 5% over the next five years. Both speciali...
An alliance announced this morning (4 November) between PepsiCo and Tingyi Holding has been hailed by analysts as a smart move for both firms, and a signal that competition is set to intensify in Chin...
Several inherent challenges exist in global fruit/vegetable juice sales. In a recent Euromonitor International Global Briefing, entitled 'Global Consumer Preferences within Fruit/Vegetable Juice', Ric...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China