UK: Nestle threatens to sell Perrier - report
The possibility that Nestle will sell Perrier re-emerged in press reports over the weekend. The Independent on Sunday said yesterday that if Nestle does not settle an industrial dispute with workers at the Perrier factory in southern France, it would not rule out selling the operation. The newspaper cites a company spokesman in its report.
Earlier this month, Nestle dismissed reports that it would sell Perrier as media hype, but admitted that job cuts would have to be made in its bottled water division in order to improve profitability. The company aims to cut around 1,000 jobs.
Workers and management at Perrier have been in disagreement since November last year, when Nestle announced changes to employment practices, including plans for early retirement. The French CGT union, which represents over 80% of workers at the Perrier factory, opposes the move.
In the Independent's story, a spokesman for Nestle said he was "confident" that a solution would be reached between the two, but warned that: "It is a possibility" that the Swiss company would sell Perrier if that should fail to happen. The spokesman added that the group would have a "clear vision" on the state of negotiations and any possible sale by the end of this month.
While the overall market for tea in the UK has declined by some 12% over the past five years, iced tea consumption is on the rise. Annette Sessions reports on the potential for iced tea in the UK and ...
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
Swiss multinational Nestlé has reported a robust set of figures for the first nine months of 2005 with organic sales up 5.8%....
Nestle Waters Direct Portugal is to by the Portuguese office delivery water company Peyroteo & Caravela, it was reported this week....
Nestle Waters is to bottle its Contrex and Vittel water brands at the same plant in France, according to local press reports....
Nestea, the tea brand developed jointly by Coca-Cola and Nestle, has announced that it is to introduce Nestea Ice, already available in the Asia-Pacific region, in the US....
Nestle Waters has bought a majority stake in a new joint venture in Algeria....
Nestle Waters Spain has inaugurated a new water plant in Herrera del Duque near Badajoz, western Spain, a company spokesman has confirmed to just-drinks....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China