RUSSIA: Nestle takes leading position in Russian water market
The move gives Nestle, the world's largest bottled water producer, the leading share of Russia's fast-growing bottled water market, after it acquired 100% of Saint Springs from private foreign investors for an undisclosed price. Analysts valued the deal at about $50m.
Nestle Waters described the move as "a big step" into a "very dynamic market" in which it expects rapid growth and consolidation over the next few years. It gives Nestle the leading position in Russia with 108m litres sold in 2001 and 10% of the bottled water market by volume.
Saint Springs's main competitors include PepsiCo's Aqua Minerale brand and Coca-Cola's Bon Aqua.
Saint Springs, whose name in Russian means "saintly source", comes from underground springs near Kostroma, a town 350km north of Moscow, by agreement with the local eparchate of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Nestle Waters has a 16.3% share of the global market and over €5bn of sales in 2001.
While the overall market for tea in the UK has declined by some 12% over the past five years, iced tea consumption is on the rise. Annette Sessions reports on the potential for iced tea in the UK and ...
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) is launching 'Powerade Aqua+' in the UK....
Nestle Waters Direct Portugal is to by the Portuguese office delivery water company Peyroteo & Caravela, it was reported this week....
Nestle Waters is to bottle its Contrex and Vittel water brands at the same plant in France, according to local press reports....
Nestea, the tea brand developed jointly by Coca-Cola and Nestle, has announced that it is to introduce Nestea Ice, already available in the Asia-Pacific region, in the US....
Nestle Waters has bought a majority stake in a new joint venture in Algeria....
Nestle Waters Spain has inaugurated a new water plant in Herrera del Duque near Badajoz, western Spain, a company spokesman has confirmed to just-drinks....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts