SOUTH AFRICA: Nederburg Auction tops R7.5m
But after that rush of blood, the money was switched from the main auction to the charity auction for, which realised R322,000.
In spite of this R7.5m was realised at the auction - a 7% rise on last year's figures.
Even though there were buyers from 32 countries with paddles, very few foreigners raised them in earnest and 82% of the wine was sold to South African liquor wholesalers, supermarkets and the tourism trade. It was estimated that a total of about 25% of the wine could find its way overseas.
The Makro wholesale group were the biggest buyers this year accounting for 9% of sales - R702,000 for 801 cases, followed by food retailers Pick 'n Pay at R645,740 for 964 cases.
But it was Russian merchant banker, Igor Ledecky (39) and his wife Iveta, who silenced the hall with their purchase of the Lanzerac Pinotage. Over and above that they took home another 259 cases of wine totalling R435,810.
The top 10 buyers purchased about half the wine, with red wine prices up 9%, dry white 4%, semi-sweet white 11%, noble late harvest 10%, port 33% and sparkling wine 26%.
The Port industry is currently facing a period of considerable change and adjustment. Innovation and evolving a modern, viable industry structure are seen as vital if Port is to compete effectively in...
In the third in a series of reports on major family-controlled companies in the wines and spirits arena, Ben Cooper and drinks industry analyst Canadean take a look at Fortune Brands, which owns the i...
Chris Losh laments the capitulation of the EU negotiating team in the recent wine trade negotiations with the US, and asks whether Europe may have to make further even more generous concessions in the...
An innovative fermented lemonade produced by a small Bavarian brewer is one of the more unlikely brand success stories of recent times, but Bionade has taken the Hamburg club scene by storm, earning i...
Three Port shippers are for sale as consolidation continues to bite in the Douro Valley....
Hagalil Winery is launching Muza - an anise based RTD....
After almost 20 years of talks, US and European Community (EC) negotiators have announced an agreement on key provisions of the wine trade....
Drinks group Maxxium Canada is set to become the third largest spirits company in Canada, following the addition of four new brands resulting from the recent acquisition of some Allied Domecq brands b...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends