US: NBC axes spirits advertising
NBC, the US network TV company, is ditching its policy to air spirits advertising only three months after it said it would start taking such commercials. NBC broke a 54-year-old policy to shun spirits advertising when it agreed to take commercials from drinks giant Diageo for its Smirnoff Ice brand. But the decision has received considerable criticism from the word go and NBC said pressure from Congress, a strong backlash from advocacy groups and a lack of support from rival networks had caused it to review its policy.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Suntory Holdings to split beer, spirits division