FRANCE: National Vin de Pays category formed
A national category for French wines that for the first time will allow for the mixing of mid-range Vins de Pays from different areas has been finalised.
Viniflhor, France's national office for fruit, vegetables, wine and horticulture, said yesterday (17 January) that it has set up the category, called Vignobles de France.
"We finalised the name yesterday and now we are just waiting for the Minister's signature," said Viniflhor's André Barlier. "The aim is to meet an international demand for varietal wines."
French wines are normally sold by 'terroir' and not by variety, but the new category will allow a wine producer or negoçiant to buy Sauvignon Blanc, for example, from different areas and label it as Vignobles de France Sauvignon Blanc.
At present, only low-end Vins de Table can be sold as blends under the 'Made in France' banner.
A new Vin de Pays range from Bordeaux négociant Yvon Mau has been launched in the UK under the brand name Maison Mau by the company's distributor Freixenet (DWS) Ltd....
The new president of the French table wine association Anivit (L'Association nationale interprofessionnelle des vins de tables et vins de pays) has been named as negociant Noel Bougrier....
Fetzer Vineyards has lined up a new French wine offering for the US....
Burgundy house Patriarche Père et Fils is launching a new range of Vin de Pays wines in the UK....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- ForEx bites, but Heineken hails strong 2016
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends