USA: Napa Wine Company Harvest 2000 Update
The vineyards, located in Yountville and Oakville in the heart of the Napa Valley, also provides grapes to numerous other high-profile brands. A total of thirteen different varietals are grown, each on its own ripening schedule and with its own harvest requirements, making for an exhausting but exciting time of year for the vineyard and winery crew.
The long, cool growing season was a whopping 200 degree days cooler than average for Yountville and Oakville, which meant harvest began later and finished later than average. At Yount Mill Vineyards, the harvest was completed October 14, over a week later than normal.
The tense moments came with six sessions of light rains during the growing season--just enough to settle the dust--and two very high heat spikes. "This was the year we really saw the benefits of our composting program," Napa Wine Company managing partner Andrew Hoxsey reported. "The heat spikes really affected other vineyards' fruit, but ours seemed to come through it with no problems. The organic matter we've built up in our soils provided reserves for the vine to draw from during the extreme conditions; even the dry-farmed blocks came through the heat extremely well."
"A farmer's life is to optimize quality & yield in face of changing conditions," Hoxsey mused. "We don't look at vintages in terms of good or bad necessarily, but I am very optimistic about the final outcome of the first vintage of the new millennium."
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends