AUS: MPs mount bid to save recycling scheme
The 'cash for cans' scheme was ruled invalid
A government recycling scheme in Australia's Northern Territory (NT), which has been opposed by drinks companies, could be saved after a parliamentary motion was passed.
The initiative – known as 'cash for cans' – was ruled invalid last month after Coca-Cola Amatil, Schweppes Austraila and Lion launched legal action against the measure. Under the scheme, customers pay a AUD0.10 (US$0.10) deposit, which is refunded when a can is returned to be recycled.
However, a motion from Green Party senator Peter Whish-Wilson, calling for governments across the country to "break" the legal block passed unopposed through the Australian senate on Wednesday (13 March), according to the MP's website.
Whish-Wilson said it was "essential" that the legal loop-hole that Coca-Cola relied upon in its legal challenge was closed.
“What we’ve seen today is all senators send a clear message to Coke (Coca-Cola) that our politicians are with the people," he said.
“A solution is now required that will create business certainty for those involved in the NT scheme while also providing for its continuing operation."
Coca-Cola Amatil had said it would cuts its prices as a result of the scheme being scrapped.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The report is a result of a thorough analysis of consumer trends, packaging manufacturing trends and packaging innovation within China's consumer packaged goods market. The report provides both qualit...
The Coca-Cola Company is the largest beverage company in the world, mainly operating in carbonates, fruit juices, fruit drinks, bottled water, sports and energy drinks, RTD tea and RTD coffee, milk- a...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report