UK: MP calls for tougher action on alcohol duty
A member of the UK Parliament has launched a motion calling for tougher action on alcohol fraud from the country's Revenue & Customs office.
Angela Smith MP said that her motion, known as an Early Day Motion, comes in response to "growing levels of alcohol fraud in the UK through the non-payment of alcohol duty".
It calls on HM Revenue & Customs to do more to prevent fraud, which Smith said leads to significant loss of funds to the public purse.
Early Day Motions rarely receie debating time in Parliament, but are used by members to draw attention to, and attract colleagues' support for, action on certain issues.
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Tequila set for export boost after record 2014
- Crimson Wine Group appoints new CEO
- India's Kerala state to ease alcohol restrictions