UK: MP calls for tougher action on alcohol duty
A member of the UK Parliament has launched a motion calling for tougher action on alcohol fraud from the country's Revenue & Customs office.
Angela Smith MP said that her motion, known as an Early Day Motion, comes in response to "growing levels of alcohol fraud in the UK through the non-payment of alcohol duty".
It calls on HM Revenue & Customs to do more to prevent fraud, which Smith said leads to significant loss of funds to the public purse.
Early Day Motions rarely receie debating time in Parliament, but are used by members to draw attention to, and attract colleagues' support for, action on certain issues.
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review